We (Three Rivers BMDC in Western PA) placed several ads in December in
response to the Christmas sale of a Berner in a local pet store (Petland),
the first such sale in our area.  The payoff for running the ads was a very
slight increase in requests for puppy/breeder information.  [The ads in 2
newspapers cost us over $100 to run which represents around 5% of total
assets for our club, including our rescue fund.] To our dismay, the pet
store was able to sell the puppy for $3000+ and as a result it has since
carried and sold two more Berners (all of them selling for ridiculous
above-market prices). Because our 35-member club does not have a lot of
money in its treasury to place ads and, in our case, the ads did not seem
particularly effect, we decided to do something that is for us more cost
effective. We applied a strategy that we used previously for people who
bought Berners from irresponsible breeders (we have some in our area), BYB
or worse (remember, Lancaster County, PA is just down the turnpike).

Basically, we work on the demand side of the equation, educating the
consumer (in that sense, the goal is similar to that of ads).  A club member
makes a personal visit to the pet store that is selling the Berner and asks
(politely, as he/she grits her/his teeth) to speak with the manager, who
generally doesn't even know that they have a Berner.  We don't lecture or
harass the store manager (it's hopeless, since most of them don't make
inventory decisions anyway and selling dogs per se is not illegal).
Instead, we provide the manager with a "Berner Puppy Kit" to give the new
owner (Puppy brochure, INFO series on Puppy's First Year, Health, Berner
FAQs, Training, Rescue contacts, our club contacts/a current Club
newsletter, a Berner-Garde brochure and whatever else we might have on hand
and think is appropriate). [Of course, while we are there, we look around to
see if there are any blatant violations of the law, too]. Believe it or not,
when asked, the pet store gives us the name of their attending vet.  We take
packets to the vets, too!  While we would like to influence the pet store to
stop selling dogs, unless there is a violation of the law, we must be more
realistic.  Typically, our effort is to get information to the new owner and
to get them to: (1) join our club so that their next purchase will be a
better one and (2) do the best by the pet store/mill puppy that they did
purchase--however poorly.  Even if we don't succeed in getting the new owner
to a meeting, we have generally succeeded in giving the person information
and contacts for use later on down the line (should the dog become ill or
should they wish to rehome it).  If the store has already sold the dog by
the time we get there, we ask if they will provide us with the name of the
new owner/address or if they will send them the packet.  In most cases, the
stores have complied with our requests send the material to the new owner.

This strategy worked very well on the previous puppy buying groups to which
we have applied it.  Several who bought dogs from irresponsible breeders now
realize that there are better ways of buying a dog than the way they did it
and at least one is now making plans to look for a dog "the right way". In
several cases, these folk have had the chance to observe how good breeders
interact with puppy buyers and have commented that they do not have that
relationship with their "breeder".  In other cases, after encouragement to
take the puppy to obedience classes, we have one owners who is about to
enter their Berner in its first obedience trial -- they are also working on
drafting.  In all cases, the owners have done well by the dogs that they
bought largely as a result of the influence of: (1) caring club members who
served as their (uncritical) mentors and (2) various educational programs
that the club offers to its members during the year.

Unfortunately, to really deal with the supply-side of this problem, one must
catch the pet store, broker, commercial kennel, puppy miller, importer
breaking some law -- importing underage dogs, maintaining unsanitary
conditions, abusing (as defined by the law) or denying care to sick animals.
Individuals and clubs doing no more than keeping a watchful eye on these
supply outlets perform a great service and may well be a key in developing
the type of documentation that aids USDA and others in targeting their
meager resources on focused inspection and prosecution of cases.  BARC is in
the process of forwarding such a case to the BMDCA.  Without the help of A
SINGLE INDIVIDUAL who monitored the puppy in a NY pet store, negotiated a
reduced purchase price for the puppy when its health had significantly and
seriously deteriorated and sought the support of her vet in treatment and
documentation of the medical condition of the puppy, the preparation of this
case would not have been possible.  My point here is to stress that informed
individuals and the actions they take can have powerful and significant
impacts in improving the lives of these animals and preventing future abuse
of others.

Nancy Melone, Ph.D.
Mars. PA