In general (based on the experience that I wrote about earlier in the week),
preaching or lecturing is more likely to turn a pet store puppy purchaser
away from you rather than convert them to your point of view. You have
found, much as we have found, that it much more effective (although a slower
process) to involve people in activities that illustrate good practice
(e.g., observing examples of positive relationships with good breeders,
helping at health clinics, volunteering (if only to serve coffee!!) at
obedience seminars or watching a dog for you at a public education event).
By doing this, they learn by example (rather than by lecture) and must
reconcile in their own minds these examples with the inconsistencies of
their own pet store experiences.

Much of the literature on persuasion would argue that you must first gain
the respect and trust of the person (with regard to the topic at hand)
BEFORE you can ever hope to persuade them to another point of view. [I
learned this pretty fast when I had trouble convincing my father to take my
advice in the area in which I do research and have a Ph.D.!! -- I quickly
wised up  and approached this at a more basic level getting him to
eventually make the right decision.] Clearly, Cindy did this with her mother
and has, as a result, created a convert.

My advice on working with people who have already purchased a pet store dog
is to help them be the best owner they could be to that pet store dog -- by
all means, do not condemn them.  In the process of helping them, you will
provide enough positive counter examples to their pet store experience that
when they are ready for another dog, you will likely be one of the first
people that they seek for help.

Nancy Melone, Ph.D.
Mars, PA