> Wrt this draft, the text is very clear as it has been implemented by
several
> major vendors. Now if you are wondering what would be the application for
> variable length, that is outside of the scope of this draft as the draft
clearly
> says that. However, if variable length is used, the length field is
basically the
> length of subnet address within the 6 octets w/ remaining bits set to
zero.
> This may not be clear to you but that doesn¹t make the existing text
> inaccurate.

The way I read the draft and the figures -- and what John has said -- is
this -- the field is fixed at 6 octets, but the address could be shorter,
though what you would do with a shorter address is outside the scope of the
draft. IMHO, the draft should either say --

- The field is variable length with a single option for a 6 octet address in
the first instance.
- The field is fixed to 6 octets -- in which case I'm not certain what the
length field is for.

> Russ, if you don't like John's response, then you should probably take a
look
> at your email. You didn¹t ask your question(s) but rather asserting that
"the
> solution is not elegant².

> >Now -- to return to the actual topic at hand -- I find the idea of
> >binding things together tightly, and then creating an "alias," rather
> >than creating a looser bind and map in the first place, is worse. That
> >might not fit what you think, but it's still something worth mentioning.

Again -- the idea of an "alias" is less elegant than simply making a loose
binding or a "grouping," of like things with similar attributes. I
understand this may (sadly) already be implemented, so I'm not asking for a
change -- just pointing out that this isn't an ideal way of going about
building such things, and that we should avoid them in the future.

:-)

Russ