On May 14, 2021 at 1:04:53 PM, Adrian Farrel wrote:

Hi!

I share some of John's concerns -- quick comment on the first one.

> > 1. There’s surprisingly little in this document that seems to be
> > SR-specific (and what there is, has some problems, see below). Is there
> > some reason you rule out interconnecting domains using other tunneling
> > technologies? I ask this question first because if the answer were to be
> > “oh huh, we don’t need to make this SR-specific after all” some of the
> > other things I’m asking about might go away.
>
> I'm sorry this isn't clear, but the use of other tunnelling technologies is
> very much in scope. As the Introduction says:
>
> The various ASes that provide connectivity between the Ingress and Egress
> Domains could each be constructed differently and use different technologies
> such as IP, MPLS with global table routing native BGP to the edge, MPLS IP
> VPN, SR-MPLS IP VPN, or SRv6 IP VPN.
>
> SR is used to identify the tunnels and provide end-to-end SR paths because the
> ingress and egress domains are SR domains, and the objective is to provide an
> end-to-end SR path.
>
> So we are not "making this SR aware" so much as enabling "SR-over-foo" using
> SIDs to identify the path segments that are tunnels.
>
> I don't know how to make this clearer except maybe using some red paint. We
> would write...
>
> The various ASes that provide connectivity between the Ingress and Egress
> Domains could each be constructed differently and use different technologies
> such as IP, MPLS with global table routing native BGP to the edge, MPLS IP
> VPN, SR-MPLS IP VPN, or SRv6 IP VPN. That is, the Ingress and Egress SR
> Domains can be connected by tunnels across a variety of technologies. This
> document describes how SR identifiers (SIDs) are use to identify the paths
> between the Ingress and Egress and the techniques in this document apply to
> routes of all AFI/SAFIs.

>From §5: "To achieve this, each Tunnel TLV in the Tunnel Encapsulation
attribute contains a Prefix SID sub-TLV [I-D.ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps]
for X."  But rfc9012 restricts the use of the Prefix-SID sub-TLV:

   [RFC8669] only defines behavior when the BGP Prefix-SID attribute is
   attached to routes of type IPv4/IPv6 Labeled Unicast
   [RFC4760][RFC8277], and it only defines values of the BGP Prefix-SID
   attribute for those cases.  Therefore, similar limitations exist for
   the Prefix-SID sub-TLV: it SHOULD only be included in a BGP UPDATE
   message for one of the address families for which [RFC8669] has a
   defined behavior, namely BGP IPv4/IPv6 Labeled Unicast [RFC4760]
   [RFC8277].  If included in a BGP UPDATE for any other address family,
   it MUST be ignored.

IOW, even though the overall mechanism could not be SR-specific, the
SR solution can't be implemented in a general way (without more
consideration).

Alvaro.