Alvaro

Very good points brought up on the limitations on the tunnel encapsulation
attribute BGP prefix sid sub tlv.  Can only be used with BGP LU AFI / SAFI.

Kind Regards

Gyan

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 4:12 PM Alvaro Retana <aretana.i...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On May 14, 2021 at 1:04:53 PM, Adrian Farrel wrote:
>

> Hi!
>
> I share some of John's concerns -- quick comment on the first one.

> > > 1. There’s surprisingly little in this document that seems to be
> > > SR-specific (and what there is, has some problems, see below). Is there
> > > some reason you rule out interconnecting domains using other tunneling
> > > technologies? I ask this question first because if the answer were to
> be
> > > “oh huh, we don’t need to make this SR-specific after all” some of the
> > > other things I’m asking about might go away.
> >
> > I'm sorry this isn't clear, but the use of other tunnelling technologies
> is
> > very much in scope. As the Introduction says:
> >
> > The various ASes that provide connectivity between the Ingress and Egress
> > Domains could each be constructed differently and use different
> technologies
> > such as IP, MPLS with global table routing native BGP to the edge, MPLS
> IP
> > VPN, SR-MPLS IP VPN, or SRv6 IP VPN.
> >
> > SR is used to identify the tunnels and provide end-to-end SR paths
> because the
> > ingress and egress domains are SR domains, and the objective is to
> provide an
> > end-to-end SR path.
> >
> > So we are not "making this SR aware" so much as enabling "SR-over-foo"
> using
> > SIDs to identify the path segments that are tunnels.
> >
> > I don't know how to make this clearer except maybe using some red paint.
> We
> > would write...
> >
> > The various ASes that provide connectivity between the Ingress and Egress
> > Domains could each be constructed differently and use different
> technologies
> > such as IP, MPLS with global table routing native BGP to the edge, MPLS
> IP
> > VPN, SR-MPLS IP VPN, or SRv6 IP VPN. That is, the Ingress and Egress SR
> > Domains can be connected by tunnels across a variety of technologies.
> This
> > document describes how SR identifiers (SIDs) are use to identify the
> paths
> > between the Ingress and Egress and the techniques in this document apply
> > routes of all AFI/SAFIs.
>
> >From §5: "To achieve this, each Tunnel TLV in the Tunnel Encapsulation
> attribute contains a Prefix SID sub-TLV [I-D.ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps]
> for X."  But rfc9012 restricts the use of the Prefix-SID sub-TLV:
>
>    [RFC8669] only defines behavior when the BGP Prefix-SID attribute is
>    attached to routes of type IPv4/IPv6 Labeled Unicast

Gyan> RFC8669 limitation

3.1 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8669#section-3.1>.
Label-Index TLV

   The Label-Index TLV MUST be present in the BGP Prefix-SID attribute
   attached to IPv4/IPv6 Labeled Unicast prefixes ([RFC8277
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8277>]).  It MUST
   be ignored when received for other BGP AFI/SAFI combinations.

RFC 9012 Tunnel encapsulation attribute

3.7 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9012#section-3.7>.
Prefix-SID Sub-TLV (Type Code 11)

   [RFC8669] defines a BGP path attribute known as the "BGP Prefix-SID
   attribute".  This attribute is defined to contain a sequence of one
   or more TLVs, where each TLV is either a Label-Index TLV or an
   Originator SRGB (Source Routing Global Block) TLV.

   This document defines a Prefix-SID (Prefix Segment Identifier) sub-
   TLV.  The Value field of the Prefix-SID sub-TLV can be set to any
   permitted value of the Value field of a BGP Prefix-SID attribute
   [RFC8669 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8669>].

   [RFC8669] only defines behavior when the BGP Prefix-SID attribute is
   attached to routes of type IPv4/IPv6 Labeled Unicast
   [RFC4760 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4760>][RFC8277],
and it only defines values of the BGP Prefix-SID
   attribute for those cases.  Therefore, similar limitations exist for
   the Prefix-SID sub-TLV: it SHOULD only be included in a BGP UPDATE
   message for one of the address families for which [RFC8669
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8669>] has a
   defined behavior, namely BGP IPv4/IPv6 Labeled Unicast [RFC4760
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4760>]
   [RFC8277 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8277>].  If
included in a BGP UPDATE for any other address family,
   it MUST be ignored.

>    [RFC4760][RFC8277], and it only defines values of the BGP Prefix-SID
>    attribute for those cases.  Therefore, similar limitations exist for
>    the Prefix-SID sub-TLV: it SHOULD only be included in a BGP UPDATE
>    message for one of the address families for which [RFC8669] has a
>    defined behavior, namely BGP IPv4/IPv6 Labeled Unicast [RFC4760]
>    [RFC8277].  If included in a BGP UPDATE for any other address family,
>    it MUST be ignored.
>
> IOW, even though the overall mechanism could not be SR-specific, the
> SR solution can't be implemented in a general way (without more
> consideration).
>
> Alvaro.

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*