I'm trying not going to get dragged into that conversation again...

>first, all the posts about TPE2 in the forum.  theres a lot of them.
Haven't noticed many myself, and it's totally irrelevant anyway.  People
posting on a forum are not representative of Joe public.

I think you are also missing the point as to how infrequent an Album Artist
should be required.

I have a reasonabe size library.  I have a variety of tastes in music, ranging
through pop, rock, alternative, electronic, ambient, classical.  I'm also a
power user, and go to great lengths to tag my library as correct as possible to
aid my ability to browse my library.

I have a very small percentage of albums that require album artist.  I have a
larger percentage of albums that I have seen fit to add a proper band tag for.

I am sure that when I have ripped albums in the past with WMP (admittedly, I
haven't done so for about 4 years), it did not set album artist.

If you use Gracenote's album lookup for a compilation album, it sets
artist=Various Artists.

Tagging providers, which are also largely provided from community-based
uploads, do not have a standard.  The whole situation is a mess.

>i think if SC aggregates stats, and i think they do
What makes you think that?  I think they probably don't.  Where do you think
they get stats from?

>i'd even be willing to say it should be the default for new installs.

Absolutely not!

>i admit, i am guessing from observed evidence
Your first 5 words were correct...

>but i base it off of the marketplace leader apps
???

>I'd even guess you use it, (as per 8004, right?)

You guessed wrong.

>and who knows how many people were in my boat who got turned off by SC
>since it had no option pre 7.1?
About the same number of people who got turned off other leading market
applications because those apps don't provide a means for adding band tags.

>but yes, it would be interesting to get a snapshot in time of just what
>tags each app is using, and how when ripping, and/or auto-retagging /
>renaming files.

I think that the results could be useful as a wiki page.  Might help with
schema/SC scanner options design for SC7.3.

>one thing i am sure of, MOST mp3 users, BY FAR, are using TPE2 as album
>artist in the apps, and NOT as band (which would be by spec).

No.  MOST mp3 users, BY FAR do not use either, because in MOST CASES it is not
relevant.

>amount of users actually using TPE2 for strictly and purposely for
>"band" is probably under 1%

Not for classical music listeners, who also use the tag for Orchestra
(TPE2=BAND/ORCHESTRA).

Phil