Fascinating.  About 10 years ago, my multi-disc CD player was packing up
& I searched the audio stores for an "internet capable CD player".
Didn't find one then & no one knew what I was talking about. At that
time I was looking to merge computers with music and thought that the
CD player would still be an integral part of the solution.  At the time
(remember this was circa 1999) I drafted a 'patent memorandum' of what I
was looking for.  I don't need to look any more since its now almost all
here with the Slim stuff.  One thing that I wanted then was to be able
to browse music (look/listen) via a handheld whilst the main system was
playing another track.  This was to allow me to 'look /listen ahead' for
next track selection.  ie before adding to the playlist, I get a chance
to confirm that this is 'the right track'.  Or, with eg. a Music IP
generated playlist, to weed out the few crap selections before they are
actually played.  An extract from the 'patent memo' of 10 years ago is
below. (for CD player, read 'music database'...I was thinking WAV at
the time & also hadn't thought about wireless). It's the last feature I
was looking for.  Anyone think this would be useful and could this be an
added feature to the Controller??

Dan

"A further feature of the system would allow the user to progam the
system (either via the handheld controller or via the PC software) to
generate compressed music files of a portion of each music track played
on the CD Player.  These music tracks would be stored as MP3 files on
the computer hard disk.  Typically 10-20 seconds of a track would be
stored (user configurable).  The audio compression from CD WAV to MP3
files would be done by suitable software on the PC.  Each MP3 file
stored on the computer would be capable of being downloaded from the PC
to the CD Player via the USB cable and from the CD Player to the
handheld control device via the IR data link.  This feature would allow
the user to browse the opening bars / lines of songs in the CD database
whilst simultaneously listening to another track playing on the CD
Player.  The handheld control device would include necessary memory and
audio (loudspeaker) facilities to perform these features."

--
chinablues