>Also semantically makes no sense to me. I am browsing by artist and
>under an artist it shows that artist's albums plus some other artist's
>albums! Like showing a Frank Sinatra album under Aretha Franklin.

Makes perfect sense to me.  Browsing an artist shows all music by that artist.
Songs happen to be shown grouped by album, and therefore songs that don't
appear on an album appear on "No Album", and songs that appear on compilation
albums appear under the name of the compilation album, and songs where the
artist was a guest performer show under the name of the album.  It also lists
songs where the artist composed the music, conducted the music, or is the
band/orchestra.  i.e. you see everything.

Also on the artist's page is an "All Songs" command, to play all songs by that
artist.  If I press All Songs, I expect all songs from that artist to be
played, not just songs on that artists regular albums - the path to get there
is "Browse Artists > [artist name] > All Songs.  There is nothing to do with
albums in that browse chain.

>I liked as it was before as both were possible. If one used the "albumartist"
>tag he/she
>got the behaviour I like, but if one didn't use that tag then he/she got the
>behaviour you like.

Not true.  If you don't use an ALBUMARTIST tag, the album would become a
compilation album, or if a COMPILATION=0 tag was present, the album would be
split into several albums (one per artist).

I have used ALBUMARTIST tags for many years to group songs on an album when
there are guest performers on the album.  As far as I can recall, the behaviour
I like (displaying albums where the artist was a guest on someone else's album,
or a performer on a compilation album) has always worked.

I do agree though that it would be nice to have an optional group-by mode, to
group albums by contributor type:

Albums:
        <list of regular albums>
Also appears on Compilations:
        <list of compilations that the artist has songs on>
Guest artist on:
        <list of albums primarily by another artist that the artist has
performed songs on>
Conductor of:
        <list of albums where there are songs that the artist is the conductor>
Composer of:
        <list of albums where there are songs that the artist is the composer>
Band/Orchestra of:
        <list of albums where there are songs that the artist is the
band/orchestra>

In the future (SC 8.0), that could also include Mix artist, Cover artist, maybe
other contributor types.

Maybe just groupings of Regular Albums and "Also Appears On", to keep it simple.

You want an additional options so that you only see regular albums, but I think
it would be fair to avoid many options.  If there was this grouping capability,
would that meet your needs (you would only look for albums under regular
albums, and simply ignore the other "Also appears on" group of albums)?

Phil