pippin;494926 Wrote:

> No, it's not. I've done it myself a dozen times. This is standard
> stuff.
>
> Read this thread for more:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=71754
>
> Been there, done that, I've done and managed quite a bit of
> development, you actually SAVE a LOT of time and money with a more
> organized approach.
I fully believe you've been there and done that, but have you ever
turned around a team that is currently not doing that? You need to be
able to change the culture and move up the CMM levels without losing the
services of key individuals who know the existing code very well. It's
like the man who, when asked for directions to get to the local pub,
replied, "If I were you, I wouldn't start from here!"
pippin;494926 Wrote:

> Plus look at all the time that is being wasted on the 3rd party
> developer side because each and every plugin has to be rewritten for
> each and every release. Imagine what the Squeezebox could do if the
> developers could write new plugins instead.

Fully agree.
pippin;494926 Wrote:

> This is currently at the point where Logitech is struggling to maintain
> the exiting functionality, not the time to talk about new one.

I know. But to get a grip on this may take some brave moves in terms of
hiring, and changing the way people do their jobs, that probably seem
too costly or risky right now.  In the meantime, management will only be
screaming for a sufficiently stable release to allow the Touch to ship.
Who under these conditions will be brave enough to try to "fix software
development processes?"

--
dsdreamer