I think the technical design of the object is totally irrelevant. I use:
a big "all-in-one" server, AppleTVs for videos, SBs for audio. For me,
each provide the quality experience I value. In the case of the server:
it is reliable; In the case of the players, they are non-distracting and
perform well.
I value a representation of performance, and I also like having setup
the system myself. Others will value compactness, the fact there is no
wire, that its brand new, ... whatever.

I hate music videos. I love documentaries on musicians or musicals. I
can't believe I would ever buy an SB *because* it is good at videos. I
don't believe it is possible to be equally good at 2 different things.

I used to have an HTPC. The experience was poor. Permanent tinkering
aside, it had too many features like Internet and all, so it was a
permanent distraction. The devices I use now are non-distracting and
perform better. I have a PC for the other stuff.

--
epoch1970