>Well this is another issue, I suspect most users who listen to
>classical music would prefer to also have separate "Composers" and
>"Conductors" menus in parallel with the artist menus. It would be
>better to have separate menus for composers and conductors and instead
>have the option to hide them if you are only listening to pop music
>where composers/conductors aren't used much. As I've understood
>classical music listeners currently have to work around this by using
>strange tagging because SBS works as it does. Of course, classical
>music is not just about separate conductors/composers menus there is a
>lot of other things missing to make classical music browsing a good
>experience.
Yes, I agree.  Providing separate lists for each type of contributor type is
good, and again, Custom Browse achieves that.
But I see why there is a list of all possible artists, and that is for
navigation.  The same artist could be a normal artist/album artist, and a guest
artist (track artist), and perhaps a band.  Or, in classical music world, a
composer could also be a conductor, or the orchestra may be listed as an
artist, etc.  So having one place where you can find everything than an
"artist" has been involved with is useful.

Also annoying (to me anyway, perhaps other people prefer this?), is the
hyperlinking of artists, which is often filtered on contributor roles (but not
always/consistently).

In web UI, go to an album that has an album artist.  Navigate into song
details.  It may list the same artist as the Album Artist and as a Track
Artist.  If you click on the Album Artist, it will only show albums for that
artist where they have an album artist role.  If you click on the Track Artist,
it will only show albums for that artist where they have a track artist role
(i.e. will only show where they have guest appearances).  The two navigations
may result in different album lists. It is not possible to navigate to the
artist from song details to show all work by that artist (i.e. you have to
manually navigate to the artist via Browse Artists, or Search for the artist.

Eg. Toy Story 2 soundtrack; the album artist is Randy Newman, and one song on
the album is by Sarah McLachlan.  Clicking on the Sarah McLachlan artist link
will only show other songs that she has appeared as a guest, and not her normal
albums.  Clicking on Randy Newman will only show albums that he has been
defined as Album Artist, and not albums he has a guest appearance on.

So it could be made that clicking on a composer only shows work where that
composer has composed, and not show work he has conducted.  But often you just
want to see everything that "Beethoven" has been linked to.