On Aug 10, 2007, at 06:45, jiho wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I was thrilled by the announcement for search facilities on ISI Web
> Of Science in the release notes of 1.3.7. However, my access to the
> WOS is through a gateway. I.e., I do not access:
>       http://isiknowledge.com/
> or whatever the real address is, but I access:
>       http://portal.isiknowledge.com.gate1.inist.fr/
> Then I enter a login+password and proceed with my search. This is how
> all French researchers from the CNRS (french national research
> agency) access to the WOS so it would be great for us if there was
> some possibility to work with this in BIbDesk. So I was wondering:
> - is the search performed from a regular web address or does this use
> another protocol?

We use SOAP web services for the searching.  Access is based on IP
address, I believe.  Quoting James Howison on this list, 10 July 2007:

>> Anyway here's the web services interface:
>>
>> http://scientific.thomson.com/support/faq/webservices/
>>
>> In particular:
>>
>> http://scientific.thomson.com/ts/media/faq/webservices.zip
>>
>> As I saw it the difficulty in using their webservices is that they
>> expect queries to come from an authorized IP address.

> - if there is a web address, could there be a pref (hidden possibly)
> to change it?

There is a web address, and there could certainly be a pref to change
it, but I'm skeptical that it would be compatible with your portal.  I
think you'll have to do some checking on your end to see if that
service is available.  The link here should give you enough info to
find out via your system administrators.

--
Adam