On Wednesday, September 12, 2007, at 09:31AM, "Christiaan Hofman" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 12 Sep 2007, at 6:10 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:
>
>> On Sep 12, 2007, at 10:41 AM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>>

>>> Okay, using a document-relative path certainly makes sense in that
>>> situation.  The question then becomes: should we keep this
>>> behavior, or break it now?  (By break, I mean use home-relative
>>> instead of document-relative paths).  Opinions from the users?
>>> What's easier for people to deal with?  I think Mike may be
>>> responsible for the original implementation, so maybe he has
>>> comments.
>>
>>  From my perspective, home-relative is much better than bib-relative.
>> I store my master bib file where tex wants it, in ~/Library/texmf/
>> bibtex/bib. I certainly don't want my pdfs there, so a bib-relative
>> path would just be walking back up the hierarchy and then down into a
>> folder inside Documents. In that case it makes more sense to me to
>> just start from ~ .
>>

>I wouldn't like to use relative paths as home-relatives. If we want
>to support home-relative paths we should save those using tilde. I
>think relative paths should be either document-relative or papers
>folder-relative. So I think the latter would actually be better, as
>it would also solve your problem.

In the new scheme, relative paths would be generated every time the document is
saved, relative to some base directory.  My question is whether we should
always use the home directory as a base directory, or always use the .bib as a
base directory (or always use the papers folder), regardless of whether we save
it with dotted directory notation or a tilde.

adam