On Sep 12, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

> I wouldn't like to use relative paths as home-relatives. If we want
> to support home-relative paths we should save those using tilde. I
> think relative paths should be either document-relative or papers
> folder-relative. So I think the latter would actually be better, as
> it would also solve your problem.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, partly because I don't
understand how BibDesk works (and maybe some other things) very well.
All I'm trying to say is that I think that (to pull something from
one of my bib files)

Local-Url = {file://localhost/Users/goedde/Documents/Work/Research/
Papers/AJP64p4375.pdf}

should be

Local-Url = {file://~/Documents/Work/Research/Papers/AJP64p4375.pdf}

(or whatever the right syntax is).

> I don't understand this confusion.

I believe that :-). But I'm still confused.

> If it were radio buttons, indeed I
> could understand it, that's why they're not radio buttons. It's not
> either-or. The "use relative path" is additional (you can choose the
> doc location as the current papers folder, and use absolute paths.).
> It's just that we currently do not allow relative paths for auto-file
> when you have a papers folder, as that would not really make sense.
> Note that the preview is nothing more than a preview. It always shows
> the tilde-abbreviated path, not the actual value of the Local-Url
> field.

I don't understand how "Use relative path" can be "additional",
because it is greyed out if "Paper folders location" is checked. So
it's an alternative to "Paper folders location"---you can't ever have
both checked. (If option B is additional to option A, that would seem
to imply that I can pick B in addition to A, no?) Also, that you can
have both unchecked seems very odd to me. Isn't there still a
location to autofile papers if both boxes are unchecked?

I don't really mean to argue, I'm just trying to explain how the
current preference pain [:-)] appears to this particular user.

I like Mike McCraken's suggestion; that makes sense to me. If a fixed
location is chosen, then storing the Local-Url using ~ rather than
the absolute path (as seems to be the case now) would also be good. I
haven't gotten bitten by the two-machine problem, because I happen to
use the same short name on both machines that I use BibDesk on.

--
Chris