Sorry if I'm stepping into this discussion that lately, but I'm also one of
those people with a burning desire for a default-PDF-viewer preference at a
transparent place in BibDesk. In fact, I just didn't find this preference
although I was looking for it in the BibDesk preference pane. I then googled
it and  stumbled into this forum, so I'm happy that the setting exists and
works!

I don't like it in General, if not just because it's not a primary
> preference. Personally, I would rather side with Adam and remove it
> all together than moving it to the General preferences. As it's really
> an advanced preference that arguable should not be there at all,
> there's a strong case to make it hidden.

Why do you developers often see things so deeply different than ordinary
users?
As an ordinary user, I simply don't care if the PDF-viewer setting is an
"advanced preference" or a "primary preference" or whatever, I just want to
set it, and I want to find it at a location where I expect it to be, which
is definitely not under "Fields".
But more to the point: What exactly is wrong with putting the setting under
"General"? As far as I can see, the setting does not influence my
system-wide default PDF-viewer setting, but just and only the BibDesk-wide
viewer setting. It simply lets me define what viewer to use within BibDesk,
so it is a veritable BibDesk setting and not in any way suspicious or
dangerous. How come you and Adam think to the contrary, that it's an "evil"
setting which should be hidden from the user or even removed?