Inspecting BD a bit with

        defaults read edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk

lead me first to conclude that Adam might be right. At least I could not figure
out that it is not a BD specific preference. However, I have set in the Finder
to open all pdf with Adobe Reader. Double-clicking a pdf in the Finder opens it
with that wanted reader. When changing in BD the pdf reader to say Skim, then
opening a pdf from within BD opens it in Skim. This tells me clearly that there
is a BD preference for pdf reading which is different from the system wide.

However, I agree with kbostroem that it is not well placed under tab 'Fields'.
I opt to have it under tab AutoFile or perhaps General. AutoFile has mostly to
do with pdf's, doesn't it? Therefore users might find it easier when it would
be offered there.

What can Chrstiaan tell us on this?

Regards,
Andreas

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Integrative Biology
CHN E 21.1
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

andreas.fisch...@env.ethz.ch
www.sysecol.ethz.ch

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax
+41 79 221-4657 mobile

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!