To kbostroem,

No, OS X is pretty good in keeping user accounts separate and I guess this is
not the issue. The issue with system wide preferences within your account,
since it may affect other applications. If the only program you would be
running is BD, then BD could do what it wants. But in case you use another
application you as an end-user could be irritated, since you may prefer another
pdf reader in that other app. E.g. with TeX I prefer TeXShop, in general I
prefer Adobe Reader, and with BD I may prefer Skim as THE pdf reader. If each
of those programs would have a preference that overrides the very same system
wide preference, then each app would interfere with the other and you would end
up having to set the preferences each time you use the other app. And what
happens if you switch between those apps frequently? You set the pref anew
after each switch? I guess not. Therefore one needs to consider all these
aspects here.

Moreover, if there are several system wide preferences, things can get very
messy. There are fora full of discussions on this issue (see e.g. ThunderBird,
FireFox download disputes since years without any progress, open source). And
my small experimenting showed that this is AFAI understand so far the case with
BD and pdf reading. And please, don't tell me this is only of interest to the
programmer. On the contrary, a smooth and logical workflow is of primary
interest to an end-user, isn't it? However, with system wide prefs you can
easily confuse yourself and get a messy, instead of a logical workflow.

Regards,
Andreas

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Integrative Biology
CHN E 21.1
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

andreas.fisch...@env.ethz.ch
www.sysecol.ethz.ch

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax
+41 79 221-4657 mobile

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!