Even people with auto insurance may not have coverage if they are disabled
or unable to work due to a crash. I didn't for years, because I drove a
crappy car, and only had liability insurance. I never had uninsured driver
insurance, because if my car was totaled, well, so be it.

And yes, there are products out there for people who don't own their own
cars. If your insurance carrier doesn't offer it, perhaps you could mention
that others do. That implied threat to go elsewhere with your insurance
dollars tends to focus the mind of your insurance agent.

Besides, there are lots of other ways to get insurance for disability/loss
of income.

Considering the cost of owning and operating even a cheap, paid for car,
paying the insurance premiums for disability/loss of income insurance has
got to be cheaper, so that's no reason to not go car-free.

Robbie