Hey Brian,

I think there's some validity to your point, but also think there's a lot
to unpack there.

I don't know the senator and I don't know how often or in what ways he
rides his bike. Clearly, he's known as a bike-friendly legislator and is at
least passionate for cycling broadly. The Bike Fed article states that he
"logs about 2,400 miles a year" and "never bikes for less than two hours
and he never wants to bother with covering less than about 30 miles". That
may be an exaggeration, but it certainly doesn't fit with your description
of him as a "daily bicycle commuter". Most daily commuters and
transportation cyclists frequently travel less than 30 miles and 2 hours
per trip. (I'm a daily commuter with a one-way trip of 8.5 miles and
typically log 5,000 - 7,000 miles per year including some recreational
riding.)

And that point isn't quibbling over details. And it isn't the lead of the
Isthmus article through chance. It's essentially asserting, like you have,
that the senator has bona fide cycling credentials and that in some way he
might have the authority to speak on behalf of people who cycle. Obviously,
very individual has their own perspective, but I very much question his
perspective as being representative of the group that the contraflow lane
was designed for: transportation cyclists who routinely need to access the
E. Mifflin St. bike boulevard from the top of State St.

I'm confident that the overwhelming majority of those riders DO think the
lack of a contraflow lane in this stretch is a big deal and would take
issue with his dismissal: “The bikes now go around the Square. I bike
around the Square, what’s wrong with that?” He asserts that bicyclists
already have ways of traveling west to east downtown, and this lane would
only be for two blocks. This again demonstrates a lack of understanding of
the situation on the ground.

Last year, the city had an online survey that captured what people liked
most and least about biking in Madison and a contraflow lane on Mifflin was
one of the top ideas voted on by the community. The significant complaints
about people riding on the sidewalk through this stretch are the ultimate
proof that there's a need for a facility. Acting like it's no big deal and
that people can simply go around the capitol is ignorant of the reality.
Anyone that has attempted it on a regular basis will find it incredibly
inconvenient and laborious and most find an alternate route. Besides
needing to travel 3 times the distance, it includes 7 traffic signals that
are by design always red to discourage motor vehicle traffic with very
significant impact to people on bikes that don't want to break the law. The
climb up Carroll is no joke and a huge waste of energy considering you'll
have to scrap all that invested energy braking at the bottom of Pinckney.

His arguments that this would force bikes to cross traffic or ride against
traffic are equally weak. Bikes cross traffic at every intersection and
need to do so at the top of state now. Bikes (and cars) ride "against
traffic" on every two-way street in the city. The contraflow lane is really
just a conversion to a 2-way street with one way restricted to bike travel.
That's not a dangerous or novel idea.

One of the most revealing quotes is the following: *“Why do bikes have to
go against traffic?” he adds. “I don’t see why we have to develop a
procedure to exempt bikes from going with the traffic.”* To me this clearly
shows the senator's lack of understanding that bikes are traffic. It seems
that he is still operating under a deficit mindset that doesn't treat
bicycles as vehicles and as traffic. It isn't that uncommon for members of
minority groups to accept the assumptions of the majority group, but it
also doesn't give me great confidence in the senator's knowledge and
passion for creating true complete streets that support movement of people
on bikes to get around the city.

As to the failure of planners and advocates to convince the group of the
value of the plan...I don't believe either had an opportunity.