Strikes me as primarily an education versus an enforcement issue. I queried a group of cyclists via email about their knowledge of the rules/laws that Chuck and Bill reference and to a person not one in 10 of these life long cyclists were familiar with the Wisconsin Law governing electric bikes.

Brian Mink
Monona, WI

William Hauda via Bikies <mailto:bikies@lists.danenet.org>
July 8, 2016 at 11:09 AM
Make that 28 mph on Speed Pedelecs. But I'm certain there are people working on faster speeds. It's human nature.

July 8, 2016 at 11:05 AM
Currently Wisconsin state law prohibits use of E-bikes on bike ways with the motor engaged. That is Madison's policy also. There is a question whether the restrictions apply to state trails and the Nonmotorized Recreation and Transportation Trails Council is currently exploring options. Two major states have tried to tackle this. California early this year enacted legislation creating classes of E-bikes with rules on how each class can be used. In New York, the effort got sidetracked because of a single legislator who chairs the transportation committee. The problem we are dealing with in Wisconsin is the emerging Speed Pedelec technology. These bikes, popular in Europe, are capable of 38 mph. Our concern is that mixing electric assisted bikes with all of the other nonmotorized users of the trails (like walkers, roller bladers, runners and bicyclists) creates a dangerous mix. How to avoid that is the goal of NRTTC. Enforcement of speed limits is problematic. Can you tell whether a motor is engaged? Probably not because electric motors are silent. While DNR does have some radar certified employees they don't have enough staff to handle the daily chores, let alone run speed traps. So it's a complex issue and we on the NRTTC are working on it.

    Bill Hauda, bicycling representative, NRTTC

July 8, 2016 at 10:42 AM
Brian and I exhanged emails off-list, and then he agreed that it was worth sharing that exchange to the list. It's copied below.
chuck