On 07/22/2010 10:59 PM, Peter Laws wrote:
I have multiple interfaces on my master and multiple interfaces on most of
my slaves.

I've got one of the slaves set up so that its masters {}; statement has two
of the master's interfaces in it.  The preferred is first, with the
non-preferred second.  I was contemplating using this on all slaves to
guard against a network path failure.

Note that I also have both of the slave's interfaces in the also-notify
statement on the master (it's an unpublished slave).

I would have thought that BIND would always hit the first and never the
second.  That doesn't seem to be the case however.  In fact, in a few cases
I've seen it seems to use both, though not round-robinning that I can see
from the logs.

I believe like all DNS servers, bind will pick the quickest-responding one (with the highest SOA serial, of course). It will certainly send SOA queries to both in case one master has a higher serial than the other.