The .local TLD is "reserved" for link-local names, in the context of multicast DNS ("mDNS"), however, I don't think mDNS has progressed beyond the Internet Draft stage of the IETF Standards Track process. See http://www.multicastdns.org for latest updates.

It would be imprudent to use .local for anything other mDNS, due to the possibility that mDNS might get on the Standards Track some day. Tell the user that there are billions of other "private" TLDs from which to choose.

                                                - Kevin