On 14/11/12 15:02, King, Harold Clyde (Hal) wrote:
I'm a bit confused by a user request. I think he is trying to keep some
hosts on the private side of DNS, but he wants to use a DNS name like
host.sub.local. I do not know of the use of the .local TLD except in
bonjure. Can anyone shed some light on the use of the .local TLD?

Yes - going down this route is a mistake. Don't do it. I speak from personal experience.

First, it conflicts with a possible future standardisation of mDNS.

Second, if you ever need to bring the hosts into your "real" DNS at a future date, you'll find you've made your life really hard, needing DNSSEc trust anchors, forwarders/stub statements, and so on.

Pick a private sub-domain of a *real* domain that *you* own e.g. if you are "example.com", pick:

sub.private.example.com

...and sidestep this at the planning stage. You can easily make that zone hidden by delegating it to nameservers which are only reachable from the appropriate places, or by using "allow-query" ACLs or similar.