--On 18 May 2011 10:02:18 +0200 Tore Anderson <tore.ander...@redpill-linpro.com> wrote:

FWIW, Keepalived's VRRP implementation has a feature which allows it to
1) specify any arbitrary source address in the VRRP hellos, e.g. the
loopback interface's, and 2) define the virtual address with a netmask.

That sounds useful.

This probably breaks RFC compliance and interoperability with other
implementations, but it does allow you to run VRRP on unnumbered
interfaces, thus not wasting any IP addresses. One caveat is that you
need to disable uRPF,

That would be a problem for us, but I presume is fixable simply
by making that an exception to uRPF.

another one is that the VRRP-speaking routers will
be active/passive for egress traffic to the LAN, since the passive
one(s) won't have an interface route to the network served.

That's not a problem.

In any case, an VRRP implementation in BIRD could easily implement the
same trick.

Yes. Or borrow the CARP implementation. As far as I can see, using
L2 to do this is in some ways more sensible than using L3.

Also, I believe it is HSRP that's patent encumbered, not VRRP.

http://www.ietf.org/ietf-ftp/IPR/VRRP-CISCO
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=EP01006702A3
--
Alex Bligh