I find Google Groups especially repugnant not not only because what has already
been mentioned, but Google Groups has a quite clunky and annoying user
interface that makes it difficult for me to find anything or interest in there.

Usenet was migrated to Google Groups for some reason, and it's very difficult
to search for anything of particular interest using that site.

Not to mention that Google Groups also contains a larger amount of spam (w.r.t
value), so arguably the moderation burden will be higher.

It is necessary to try to find a way to keep the discussion on a mail server,
since a migration off of it will render many users' email clients useless for
this purpose.

- Ali