Hey AJ

Thanks for this, pretty much agree with all of it. It seems like a week doesn't
go by now without a new individual popping out the woodwork proposing an
upcoming activation of CTV with no new PoCs and no new insights. I'm not sure
what it is about CTV (versus say other proposals) that it keeps attracting
these people that refuse to work on PoCs or anything that drives the research
area forward and yet want to try to attempt activation where the success
scenario would be a chain split.

> > But "target fixation" [0] is a thing too: maybe "CTV" (and/or "APO") were
> > just a bad approach from the start.

It is hard to discuss APO in a vacuum when this is going on the background but
I'm interested in you grouping APO with CTV in this statement. At the time of
writing there clearly isn't consensus or advanced PoCs on any of the use cases
CTV claims to enable. (One rare exception on the use case front is James
O'Beirne's OP_VAULT [0] that requires additional opcodes to OP_CTV). But APO
does seem to be the optimal design and have broad consensus in the Lightning
community for enabling eltoo/LN-Symmetry. Any other use cases APO enables would
be an additional benefit.

I don't think one can seriously think about an *upcoming* activation for APO as
there is still more work to do to convince the community that it would be worth
the risks of embarking on another activation process. But assuming another year
of concerted work on APO and the CTV woodwork of chaos (hopefully) being
exhausted do you think an APO activation would be viable in say 2025/2026? Is
your hesitancy on APO based on any particular technical concerns or just
fatigue from the CTV chaos?

Thanks
Michael

[0]:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2023-January/021318.html

--
Michael Folkson
Email: michaelfolkson at protonmail.com
GPG: A2CF5D71603C92010659818D2A75D601B23FEE0F

Learn about Bitcoin: https://www.youtube.com/@portofbitcoin