Hi Erik

> So what exactly are the risks of CTV over multi-sig?

It is a strange comparison. Multisig is active onchain and is being used today
for all sorts of things including Lightning and setups that address risk of
single key loss or malicious signing. When discussing risks of CTV there are
all sorts of risks that don't apply to multisig. These include that it is never
used for any of its speculated use cases (multisig is being used today), other
proposals end up being used instead of it (I'm not sure there were or are
competing proposals so that multisig stops being used, MuSig2 maybe?), chain
split risks with activation if there isn't consensus to activate it etc. Plus
usage of complex (non covenant) scripts that fully utilize Taproot trees is
still low today. Going straight to covenants (imposing restrictions on where​
funds can be sent) and not bothering with imposing all the restrictions you'd
like on how​ funds can be spent in the first place seems to me to be putting
the cart before the horse. Covenants don't ultimately solve the key management
issue, they just move it from the pre spending phase to the post spending
phase. So the benefits (although non-zero) aren't as obvious as some of the
covenant advocates are suggesting. And although CTV is a limited covenant (some
argue too limited) covenants taken to wild extremes could create all sorts of
second order effects where funds can't be spent because of complex combinations
of covenants. Even the strongest CTV proponent seems to suggest that the
introduction of covenants wouldn't end with CTV.

The way to reduce implementation risk for a use case of a particular proposal
is to build out that use case and see if CTV is the best tool for the job.
Repeatedly trying to activate CTV when there isn't consensus for it to be
activated does not reduce that implementation risk in any way, shape or form.

Thanks
Michael

--
Michael Folkson