When you look at the total of Livestock, Dairy and Eggs being produced on
American farms, 26.6 Billion # of it is beef and veal.  Only .2 Billion is
lamb and mutton. This information was found in the Spring 2006 Farm Bureau
"Kansas Living" publication.

Currently Michigan's voluntary Scrapie program (MSRRP - Michigan Scrapie
Risk Reduction Program) does not allow you to sell any QQ animal for
breeding purposes.   QQ animals are to be sold for slaughter only. (QQ being
at codon 171.)

How long before other states follow Michigan's lead?

The USDA Meat Animal Research Center (MARC) in Clay Center, NE uses codon
171 in its selection process.

The United States government has decided that the codon 171 R gene is
important enough to pay for testing for part of our flocks.

Consider how the public reacted to the "mad-Cow" scare. The government's
knee-jerk reaction was to eliminate entire herds.  The small producer has a
very hard time recovering from such reactions.

If a "Scrapie" scare were to occur, how many of us would be completely
eliminated?

I believe it will take 10 years to establish an 'RR' flock of Barbados
Blackbelly at my location.

How many "voluntary" programs will become "mandatory" in the next 10 years?

Consider all the government interest and involvement in tagging livestock.
How soon before we are "required" to use electronic tags?

I do agree that this gene should not be the "ONLY" criteria for culling. If
I had two animals that all other factors weighed evenly, I would have to
choose the one with the gene.  To my knowledge, no studies have been done on
hair sheep Scrapie resistance.  I do not want to risk my flock to a
bureaucrat that does not know the difference between a wool sheep and a hair
sheep.

This link is for the definition of the United States position on Scrapie.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahps/scrapie/scrapie_genetics.pdf

One paragraph stands out above the rest.

"The National Genetics Based Flock Clean-up Plan allows affected producers
to retain or move RR sheep, AA QR sheep, and most AV QR sheep without
restriction. It also calls for the removal or restriction of all exposed QQ
ewes, exposed female goats, and the female offspring of scrapie positive
female animals. In a minority of flocks where positive AV QR sheep are
identified, exposed AV QR ewes will be removed or restricted.
In other flocks when requested by the owner APHIS will remove exposed AV QR
ewes for study. All scrapie positive and suspect animals must be removed. In
the unlikely event that scrapie is found in a sheep that is neither QQ nor
AV QR, additional animals may be required to be removed or restricted."

So if any "infected" animal were to show up on my farm, at least I would
have a chance of keeping the 'QR' and 'RR' animals.