Let us know when you get the tests back on your sheep. It will be good data
to add to our very limited information about how our breeds test in this
area. Because your flock is a cross-bred flock, it could be that you end up
with a higher percentage of QR/RR than a purebred flock.

For me, even though I am part of the voluntary scrapie certification
program, if I ever must choose between remaining in the program or
continuing my efforts to preserve the entire Barbados Blackbelly breed in
the U.S. (there are fewer than 200 of 'em), then I will simply leave the
program--with many letters to officials explaining their part in
exterminating the breed in the U.S. What's the connection? Because unless
we get some outside genetics, our breed is doomed (or at least will lose
the very characteristics that make it such a desirable sheep) from lack of
a broad enough genetic base. And the only way we can bring in outside
genetics (after the U.S. puts in place an import protocol), is to be part
of the voluntary scrapie program. So if the caretakers of the genetics are
forced out of the voluntary program, then we won't be positioned to receive
imported semen if it ever becomes available. That's the connection.

Our government's idiocy increases exponentially.

Carol