I've been trying to stay out of this mess since I've contributed
precious little to the project so far (my estimate puts it at 0 lines of
contributed and about 50 lines of code that should never see the light
of day) but I really have to jump in here.

> b) I always use the slit. The toolbar however, I ignore. How about any
> functionality that people want from the toolbar be put in the slit,
> and that can be placed wherever? Does anybody feel any strong need to
> have both at the same time?

I do.  No I'll admit, there is nothing I use the toolbar for that
couldn't be part of the slit.  But then again, if you really had a mind
to, you could eventually embed mozilla's rendering engine in the slit
and have an always-on web browser.

I guess what I'm saying is this:  I use them both together and I like
it.  The toolbar gives me two things no other window-manager I've ever
used did:

   1) a place to glance at that tells me what workspace I'm currently in
      (and yes, that is particularly valuable when you have ten xterms
      open in each workspace and they all look similar, but you're doing
      very different stuff in each) and

   2) A decent, lightweight, non-offensive way to change workspaces with
      the mouse and to walk my focus through windows without rattling
      them all around doing raise/lower keystrokes.

Sure, nothing spectacular, but I like it and to do something similar in
the slit would just be a pain in the butt for me.  Not impossible, just
a pain.

My 2 cents.
-Joe.

--