If you are using Karabiner anyway, you could just use it to create a
modifier-only activation for QS. That's what I do.

In specific, I wanted to activate QS using a single press on the right-side
⌘ key, but not the left-side ⌘ key. So I put this into Karabiner's
private.xml:

<item>
<name>Right Command to Right Command</name>
<appendix>(+ When you press Right Command only, send
Control+Option+Command+Space)</appendix>
<identifier>private.commandRcommandR_controloptioncommandSpace</identifier>
<autogen>__KeyOverlaidModifier__ KeyCode::COMMAND_R,
KeyCode::COMMAND_R,
KeyCode::SPACE, ModifierFlag::COMMAND_L | ModifierFlag::CONTROL_L |
ModifierFlag::OPTION_L</autogen>
</item>

Then I turn off QS's built-in modifier-only activation and set QS's normal
activation shortcut to ⌃⌥⌘Space. The really nice thing about this
particular Karabiner setting is that it will also still let you use the
right ⌘ as normal if you press it in combination with anything else. It
only does the special behaviour if you press it on its own.

You can easily adjust the contents of the third line of the <autogen>
element this to match whatever activation shortcut you want. And if you
want to use it on both ⌘ keys, you can do that, too. Just dig around in
Karabiner's (somewhat atrocious) documentation.