I suspect that Karabiner (formerly known as KeyRemap4MacBook),
BetterTouchTool, or some similar keyboard altering tool are being used at
that some setting in that software is interfering. Karabiner in particular
is very, very powerful and could easily cause something like this if one
configured it to do so. (Just installing Karabiner wouldn't do anything to
cause this, but if Karabiner is told to alter the behaviour of the
right-side modifier keys, then something like this could easily result.)