Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Randy McMurchy wrote:
Hi all,

If you have a current version of XFree86 installed, please check and
see if you have the libXdamage library installed in your X library
directory. Xorg installs the library, however, the GNOME Magnifier
instructions say that XFree does not (lists it as a dependency).

If the current version of XFree86 now installs this library (please
also check for a .pc file for it as well), the dependency can be
removed from the book.

I asked if we should drop xfree86 from the book about a year ago.  Most
said yes.  Others said to not drop it as it didn't take much maintenance.

I think we should drop it now.  I don't know of any any editors that use
it so it can be tested.  I am willing to leave it in if there is a
compelling reason.  If there is, please let me know.

About libXdamage, no, XFree86-4.5.0 doesn't install it. Gnome-mag will compile
without it but it doesn't work.

About XFree, I agree, drop it. And while we're on the subject of things to drop, what about Sawfish? It won't compile with gcc-4. The fix is a simple sed, but why bother fixing it?
There should be some mechanism for clearing cr^* from BLFS. If a package is in
BLFS it should be a mark of endorsement, that this is a good package. If you
don't clear out the old rubbish the book will steadily fill up with things that
previous editors liked but which have now gone stale.

There are plenty of other things that should be in BLFS. A peer to peer
application (Gtk-Gnutella) a GUI video editor (avi-demux) and the file browser
ROX