On 2/1/07, Randy McMurchy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 02/01/07 18:48 CST:
>
> > I would like to see a 6.2 branch created and have the tags generated
> > from that branch. But, you're the boss. As long as there's a place to
> > check in 6.2 specific changes.
>
> I'm not quite following, please explain dumbed-down just a bit. :-)
>
> The tag created yesterday was from trunk and has been modified. But
> after this evening, won't change any longer. Not sure why anyone
> would want to go back to a particular day/version of SVN via a tag.
> I suppose you'll need to explain what you mean.
>
> More than anything I'm looking at it as 'practice'. If there's a better
> way, I want to do it.

In my mind, the tag should be static because it marks some sort of
milestone. So, later if I want to find out what's changed since
BLFS-6.2.0rc1 got released, I can do that. There won't suddenly be new
commits there.

It's fine if this is just going to be a practice milestone or some
other throwaway, but the milestone should stay fixed. It's more about
history than the idea that someone is going to want to actually check
out 6.2.0rc1 in a few months.

As for branching, it just allows the possibility that some changes are
for specific purposes. Not that I'm going to, but now that BLFS-6.2 is
relatively static, I could start checking new stuff back into trunk.
And I wouldn't want that to get mixed up with things needed for 6.2.

IMO

--
Dan