On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 01:12:50AM +0200, Uwe Düffert wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> > Any thoughts, or alternative suggestions ?
> Yes, a few:
>
> As others already suspected, I would expect latency (like seek times) of
> the hard drive to have a significant influence on build times and thus
> times might be influenced by caching as well as by significantly changed
> fill level of a partition.

 But, I'm only ever comparing times on the same system, and this
package (abiword) was almost at the end of my build, so the amount
of '/' used is almost the same (for me, /home is always a separate
filesystem - ok, I've probably extended the usage of /var/log - and
yes, updating the browser cache involves head movement, but such a
large variation ?

> If thats the case then using an SSD should improve the relyability of
> build times. I'll run a series of builds of the same package this night
> (binutils as well for comparison) on a quite fast SSD and report back.

 With respect, if we *have to* use SSDs then most of us won't be
able to edit the book and it will wither even more than it has so
far.

> If HD turns out not to be the problem: what about those modern processors
> that overclock some cores automatically? That might easily be influenced
> by running *something* in the background that keeps yet another core
> active and prevents the package building core(s) from overclocking...
>
> Uwe

 Modern processors ?  Multiple cores ?  I'm using single-processors
from somewhere between 4 and 5 years ago ;)

ĸen
--
for applications, 31 bits are enough ;)