On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Ken Moffat wrote:

> So, on the assumption that this variability is a uniprocessor
> feature, I'll conclude that a lightly loaded desktop can have at
> least a 15% range of build times.
Well, after all, do you really think this is astonishing? On a single core
machine just (constantly) moving the mouse can easily (depending on the
system) cost a few percent of cpu resources. If consistent build times are
a concern I would never have thought about starting X at all. Even on my
dual core machine I only have a few console screens (may be running
midnight commander) during builds. Its not really a concern with multiple
cores (as measurements show), but on a single one it is for sure.

Uwe