>On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:28:33 +0100
>Ken Moffat <k...@linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
>  This range of variation *probably* only applies to complex builds
> (lots of c++ and libtool) and is perhaps magnified by whatever
> abiword does for its own 'dolt' versions of libtool and friends.
> Thanks for all the helpful comments.
>

> ĸen

I concur.
Ldd reports that neither gcc nor g++ link libpthread (the only
multithread library I have installed) which would indicate they are
single-thread compilers and as such can fit themselves on one core in
multi-core setups. The other core(s) can take over other tasks, a
capability single core CPUs don't have.
So, on single core CPUs, any additional tasks would affect GCC
execution times, while on multi core CPUs, this would not occur.

--
-Aleksandar Kuktin