Armin K. wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 06:39 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Ken Moffat wrote:

>>>    Does it work when installed suid (on x86_64) ?  I used to build it,
>>> but stopped doing that several years ago.  Partly, the weird
>>> packaging, and test failures, if I recall correctly, caused me to
>>> discount it.  But I also think that on the rare occasions I tried to
>>> use it (mostly development-kernel problems, probably also when I've
>>> had problems in the nfs area) it was less than useful.  That was
>>> with it installed non-suid.
>>
>> lsof needs to read:
>>
>> crw-r----- 1 root kmem 1,  2 Jul 26 19:14 /dev/kmem
>>
>> That's at least one reason for the suid bit.
>>
>>     -- Bruce
>>

> Since you decided to put it in /sbin which isn't and shouldn't be in
> normal user path, it should be only run as root because of that.
>
> On the other hand, I can perfectly run it as normal user. It might just
> print a warning though, it isn't anything critical if it can't open
> /dev/kmem. That shouldn't be something user should be able to read anyways.

I didn't decide, I suggested.  Fernando is doing the page.

If it prints a warning, it still runs, but what information is it
omitting from the output?  I don't know without digging, but the
developer does recommend install using suid.

If we do set the program suid, perhaps /bin would be better.  For my
system, I do have /sbin in my path as a regular user, but that's
basically for development purposes.

Just checking, I see /sbin/mount.nfs is suid.  Also I have
/usr/sbin/vmware-authd as suid, but of course that's a proprietary
program that I was using to benchmark qemu against.