Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Armin K. wrote:

>>> lsof needs to read:
>>>
>>> crw-r----- 1 root kmem 1,  2 Jul 26 19:14 /dev/kmem
>>>
>>> That's at least one reason for the suid bit.
>>>
>>>     -- Bruce
>>>

>> Since you decided to put it in /sbin which isn't and shouldn't be in
>> normal user path, it should be only run as root because of that.
>>
>> On the other hand, I can perfectly run it as normal user. It might just
>> print a warning though, it isn't anything critical if it can't open
>> /dev/kmem. That shouldn't be something user should be able to read
>> anyways.
>
> I didn't decide, I suggested.  Fernando is doing the page.
>
> If it prints a warning, it still runs, but what information is it
> omitting from the output?  I don't know without digging, but the
> developer does recommend install using suid.
>
> If we do set the program suid, perhaps /bin would be better.  For my
> system, I do have /sbin in my path as a regular user, but that's
> basically for development purposes.

After a little bit of reading and experimenting, I now think that lsof
should be in /bin but without the suid bit set.  I don't get a message
about /dev/kmem, but do get a lot of lines with 'Permission Denied' as a
regular user.  That's probably for the best.

lsof could be useful to an admin without /usr mounted, and also useful
for a programmer as a regular user.  That user would have to filter the
'Permission Denied', but that's probably as it should be.

The documentation still recommend suid for linux, but that may be a very
old recommendation.