Le 18/01/2014 13:48, Fernando de Oliveira a écrit :

> In summary, I wanted three things:
>
> 1. Move optional switch of Audacious --with-buildstamp="BLFS" from
> "Command Explanations" to main, adding before use the word "optional",
> and explaining the user may customize the value.
Others may disagree, but please, do not do that. If a switch is in the
instructions, it is a "parameter", not an "option". For the special case of
audacious, I do not know what a "timestamp" is for. If it adds an important
functionality, please put it in the instructions, add a "parameter" in the
command explanation explaining why you added that instruction (for example,
"the timestamp is important to have in such and such case"). If it is not so
important (changes some label or whatever), signal it as an "option" in
command explanations, and again explain what it does ("set the timestamp, so
that you have such and such functionality").

> 2. Move optional switch of Sudo --with-passprompt="[sudo] password for
> %p" from "Command Explanations" to main, adding before use the word
> "optional", and explaining the user may customize the value.
Same here. Furthermore, for me, the fact that all distros do that is not
enough to include it in the book. But of course, I'll respect your decision if
you put it in the instructions. In any event, again, in that case, it is not
optional, it is recommended (_you_ recommend it). If it is optional, the user
is supposed to know enough to include the instruction himself, specially if
you give it in command explanations.

> 3. Move PulseAudio from "Required" to "Optional", move respective switch
> to "Command Explanations".

That is correct.

Of course, what I write is just my opinion, it is not in any event an official
position about what the book should be (although I would like that the
official position be that), so feel free to do whatever you want. But since
you wrote about what you would do, I just wanted to discuss it.

Regards
Pierre