On 12.2.2014 5:37, Petr Ovtchenkov wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 19:27:50 +0100
> "Armin K." <kre...@email.com> wrote:
>

>> On 10.2.2014 13:04, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>>> I thought it would be worth sharing what I have just read. Perhaps not
>>> everybody knows about it yet.
>>>
>>> 1. Debian votes for systemd
>>>
>>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00338.html
>>>

>> And seems that systemd has won.
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00405.html
>>

> "Democratic" technologies in action.
>
> BTW,
>
> http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/02/02/ubuntu-to-dump-nautilus-wants-your-input/

As a GNOME Apps user, I must admit that Nautilus has seen better days.
It's understandable that they want a Qt file manager especially since
their Unity 8 is targeting Qt too and it will be running on Mir.

I for one have switched from Nautilus to Nemo (Nautilus 3.6-ish fork).

> <snip>
> In open source, you can’t lock people out of the code like you can in Windows.
> But you can make the system so complex that no one can control it at a lower
> level without being a developer with lots of time to spare.
> I think ultimately that’s what this is about. And the systemd tool stack
> will likely eventually be used for DRM and other restrictive
> technologies (just as HAL was).
> </snip>

I'm really interested in the DRM part. Please tell me how HAL was used
for DRM? HAL was free software as I recall, but has become too complex
to maintain or add new features, thus U* friends were born (well,
DeviceKit first, then U* friends).

Do you got any links that elaborate how/if HAL was used for DRM?