> Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 19:27:50 +0100
> From: "Armin K." <kre...@email.com>
> To: BLFS Development List <blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-dev] News about nouveau and systemd
>

> On 10.2.2014 13:04, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> > I thought it would be worth sharing what I have just read. Perhaps not
> > everybody knows about it yet.
> >
> > 1. Debian votes for systemd
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00338.html
> >

> And seems that systemd has won.

 - and Debian and Linux lost. ( - if, that is, that outcome is finalised and
carried through, & once/if they sort out some of the aspects of their
'process'.)

It'll be interestingly amusing to see how the ride goes for you sysd folks
- and boy, you're going to be taken for a ride; enjoy. For everyone else:
Popcorn?

Meanwhile, here, as noted we don't need to use anything like sysd, and
for _at least_ the very long foreseeable either; sysd in its present
form won't be around by then anyhow. We _have_ experience with sysd for
a few years now, on machines and with src-code and with the doc-sets:
and it's really not near to being in an acceptable medium-/long- term
adoption state - and won't be if its present structure and ideologies
persist in anything like their present forms.

As noted before, what'll likely happen is that sizeable chunks of sysd
will be found to be not quite the solution they were fanboied to be, &
get split apart or reworked as separate items or 'deprecated', whether
'in-house' (by the then-maintainers) or by '3rd-parties'; while some of
the reasonable ideas and goals will be morphed and absorbed by others
into proper (sub-)sets of solutions.  That's not mere 'whistling in the
dark'; it's just very often how stuff happens in practice; and sysd is a
fairly obvious candidate for that - and sooner rather than later. There's
always enough folks around to call time on crap and on 'one true vision'
proponents and their followers: sysd and linux are not immune from that.

rgds,

akh