This is a general question about the move/re-size behaviour of every window
manager I've seen under Linux. Most of them support "opaque move/re-size" in
which the contents of the window is updated continuously during a move or
re-size operation.

But my question is about the non-opaque ("transparent") mode, in which only
an outline is shown. The problem I have is that in every WM I've seen with
this mode, the WM seems to freeze all other applications during the move or
re-size operation. When I let go of the mouse, the applications resume. I'm a
little annoyed at this behaviour; I would probably prefer the transparent
mode to the opaque, if it weren't for this situation. I recall that older
versions of Windows used to do this as well (when using the transparent
move/re-size on that operating system), but newer versions will allow
applications to continue running even with transparent move/re-size enabled.

I've only come across one vague explanation to this. Something about there
not being any efficient way to implement the transparent move or the outline
without pausing other applications. Does anyone here know of a WM that can
manage this feature without freezing other applications? Or maybe there is a
patch I can apply to some WM to prevent it from locking the other applications?