> Of Ken Moffat
>   I think this *might* be controlled by one of the SCSI
> transport options
> - there is some sort of deprecated option that conflicts with
> SATA, but I'm on a ppc at the moment and I can't see it.

I'd noticed this deprecated option ("conflicts with libata") but never
bothered to track down where libata is enabled.
It's in the SCSI low-level drivers as you said.

> > So I'll compare it to what I get after I fix the kernel.

Before:
 Timing cached reads:   2732 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1365.53 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   10 MB in  3.04 seconds =   3.29 MB/sec

After:
# hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   2664 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1330.21 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate
ioctl for device
 Timing buffered disk reads:  164 MB in  3.00 seconds =  54.60 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate
ioctl for device

Got to be happy with that!
I don't know what that other message means - see below

Here are the missing config options:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/htpc# diff config config.old|grep -v \#

(snip)
---
667,681c667
< CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
< CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y
< CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_INTEL_COMBINED=y
---
Slight problem:
# hdparm -i /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
I'll be looking into this.

Apart from this everything was fine at the first reboot. No errors.

>   Well, I could attempt to read your mind to determine what you are
> subconsciously worrying about, but I think I'll just say
> "yes" :) Oh, root= for your bootloader will need to refer to sdaX.

That's twice in one day you read my subconscious correctly. Spooky.

Thanks again