>The LFS system is not just intended for people who want a desktop
>system or similar. It can also be used for people who are setting
>up a server (web, mail, etc.) or other system.

Yes, I understand.  As I said, I can see both sides.  I've developed
a script I can use to clone my LFS systems with all my preferred
extensions, but it has an "out" after installing just the bare LFS,
just in case.

>Besides, as I pointed out earlier, the end of LFS does in fact
>already suggest going  to BLFS and installing (among other things) a
>text web browser before leaving the chroot environment...it even
>specifically mentions that this would be useful for reading BLFS in
>the new LFS system.

Again, yes.  But it's hardly surprizing that the user/installer sees
"Rebooting" and neglects to read carefully.  What to do?  A big box
that says "READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE YOU REBOOT.  WE REALLY, REALLY,
REALLY MEAN IT."?  OK, so Walter jumped the gun.  But I can't blame
him for it.

>The system you have created in this book is quite minimal, and most

Spartan was the word I used.  And I think we ALL see the value of
that in certain cases.  After all, we have LFS instead of "kitchen
sink" distros.  ;-)

>likely will not have the functionality you would need to be able to
>continue forward. By installing a few extra packages from the BLFS
>book while still in our current chroot environment, you can leave
>yourself in a much better position to continue on once you reboot
>into your new LFS installation.

Which raises this point of whether the LFS book finishes a couple
steps too soon.  I think the point is debatable, and always should be.
I don't find it objectionable to add a page about installing Lynx, calling it
optional, perhaps even as an appendix to distance it from
a base LFS install.  Neither do I think it's absolutely necessary since
the user/installer had some alternative way to read the LFS book.
We've all successfully made the transition.

>However, I never intended to start a big debate about the best way
>to transistion from LFS to BLFS ... Sorry for making such a big stink.

LFS isn't "my baby", but I don't see it that way.  I think it's a good
question.  I venture to guess that there are relatively few installers
that stop with a bare LFS system.  If the Spartans wanted to live that
way, fine for them.  I prefer central heating & indoor plumbing.  ;-)

Paul Rogers  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/