On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:27:23PM -0500, al...@verizon.net wrote:
>  "ASUS P5E-VM HDMI" with Intel G35/ICH9R.
>  Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 4GB
>  (B)LFS i686-pc-linux-gnu 2.6.37.3, Xorg-7.6
>  glib-2.28.3, gtk+-3.0.3, sqlite-3.7.5, etc.
>
> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> On a dare, I decided to install the freshly released Firefox 4.0.
> It was also on a "squeeze" - the 3.6.14 and 3.6.15 failed me miserably:
> I had lost my beloved back and forward arrows of the navigation buttons
> (see Bug 640850).  I was also beyond a GTK+-2/3 version where I may
> have "fixed" the problem by going back to 3.6.13.

 The back / forward buttons need a patch in gtk2 - it should be in
the archives for this list (from dj).
> The highlights of the successful installation are in the following.
> If one soul is helped by them, my sacrifice wouldn't've been in vain.
>
> PUNCHES by Firefox
> 1. Needs nspr >= 4.8.7
> 2. Needs nss >= 3.12.9
> 3. Needs libpng _with_ "apng"
> 4. Needs cairo _with_ "tee"
>
> COUNTER PUNCHES by me (keyed to above)
> 1. Installed nspr-4.8.7 (latest)
> 2. Installed nss-3.12.9 (latest)
> 3. This left me reeling.
>    BLFS has libpng-1.2.44.
>    The latest version ("on the street") is 1.5.1
>    Installed 1.5.1 but, unfortunately the 1.2.44 patch
>    for "apng" doesn't work on 1.5.1.
>    In desperation, I commented out the
>    "ac_add_options --with-system-png" line
>    and damn the torpedoes.
> 4.  Re-built cairo-1.10.2 with
>       "--enable-tee".
>
>     Here, you get an unsettling message after the configure,
>
> <<  The tee surface backend feature is still under active development
>  and is included in this release only as a preview.
>  It does NOT fully work yet and incompatible changes may yet be made
>  to tee surface backend specific API. >>
>
>     but nobody expects Firefox-4.0 to be for the faint of heart.
>
> ADDITIONAL COMMENTS
>
> - The build ('make -f client.mk build') takes about 20 min.
> On versions 3.6.x, about 14 min.
>
> - The install ('make -f client.mk install') takes seconds.
>
> Best regards,
> -- Alex

 The apng stuff sounds as if it hasn't changed - although I admit to
suggesting blfs should go with apng (one of my bad suggestions!),
firefox has always been happy to build its own patched version.

 Thanks for this, I was planning to move to 3.6.15 when I've
finished migrating my data to my new server, now it looks as if I'll
be trying 4.0 (on old, or patched, gtk2).

ĸen