On Tuesday 22 March 2011 02:59:09 Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 08:27:23PM -0500, al...@verizon.net wrote:
> >  "ASUS P5E-VM HDMI" with Intel G35/ICH9R.
> >  Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 4GB
> >  (B)LFS i686-pc-linux-gnu 2.6.37.3, Xorg-7.6
> >  glib-2.28.3, gtk+-3.0.3, sqlite-3.7.5, etc.
> >
> > To Whom It May Concern:
> >
> > On a dare, I decided to install the freshly released Firefox 4.0.
> > It was also on a "squeeze" - the 3.6.14 and 3.6.15 failed me miserably:
> > I had lost my beloved back and forward arrows of the navigation buttons
> > (see Bug 640850).  I was also beyond a GTK+-2/3 version where I may
> > have "fixed" the problem by going back to 3.6.13.
>
>  The back / forward buttons need a patch in gtk2 - it should be in
> the archives for this list (from dj).
>
> > The highlights of the successful installation are in the following.
> > If one soul is helped by them, my sacrifice wouldn't've been in vain.
> >
> > PUNCHES by Firefox
> > 1. Needs nspr >= 4.8.7
> > 2. Needs nss >= 3.12.9
> > 3. Needs libpng _with_ "apng"
> > 4. Needs cairo _with_ "tee"
> >
> > COUNTER PUNCHES by me (keyed to above)
> > 1. Installed nspr-4.8.7 (latest)
> > 2. Installed nss-3.12.9 (latest)
> > 3. This left me reeling.
> >
> >    BLFS has libpng-1.2.44.
> >    The latest version ("on the street") is 1.5.1
> >    Installed 1.5.1 but, unfortunately the 1.2.44 patch
> >    for "apng" doesn't work on 1.5.1.
> >    In desperation, I commented out the
> >    "ac_add_options --with-system-png" line
> >    and damn the torpedoes.
> >
> > 4.  Re-built cairo-1.10.2 with
> >
> >       "--enable-tee".
> >
> >     Here, you get an unsettling message after the configure,
> >
> > <<  The tee surface backend feature is still under active development
> >
> >  and is included in this release only as a preview.
> >  It does NOT fully work yet and incompatible changes may yet be made
> >  to tee surface backend specific API. >>
> >
> >     but nobody expects Firefox-4.0 to be for the faint of heart.
> >
> > ADDITIONAL COMMENTS
> >
> > - The build ('make -f client.mk build') takes about 20 min.
> > On versions 3.6.x, about 14 min.
> >
> > - The install ('make -f client.mk install') takes seconds.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > -- Alex
>
>  The apng stuff sounds as if it hasn't changed - although I admit to
> suggesting blfs should go with apng (one of my bad suggestions!),
> firefox has always been happy to build its own patched version.
Why should it be a bad suggestion? As long as patches for libpng can be found,
we could go that way. As a plan B, if the apng patches stops existing, we
always  can switch to the mozconfig tweak.

Btw, patches for the apng thing can be found for nearly every libpng-version
at http://littlesvr.ca/apng/{,diff/}  so for 1.5.1 too!

>  Thanks for this, I was planning to move to 3.6.15 when I've
> finished migrating my data to my new server, now it looks as if I'll
> be trying 4.0 (on old, or patched, gtk2).
Please report how things are going!

--
Thomas