William, Andy:

CORRECTION
The build did pick up GTK+-2, despite my best
efforts to place a GTK pointer pointing to GTK+-3
in /usr/lib and /usr/include.
Apologies.

Andy:

> You can fix the back and forward arrows by setting a gtk theme.
I'll look into that.
I was surprised that by just moving to 3.6.14 from 3.6.13, _after_
a few point upgrades of GTK+-2, the arrows disappeared without any
warning (so to speak).

>> 1. Needs nspr >= 4.8.7
>> 2. Needs nss >= 3.12.9

> No it doesn't.
> I don't install nspr or nss and current firefox compiles fine for me.

Did you use

>> --with-system-nspr
>> --with-system-nss

like me?

> Did you not try using google?
> .../apng/files/libpng/libpng15/

>> but nobody expects Firefox-4.0 to be for the faint of heart.
> You'll live.

The OP covered my first thoughts after a quick and dirty build.
Now, that I've lived to tell the story I'll sit down
and consolidate :)

-- Alex