On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 05:53:27PM +0000, John Burrell wrote:

> Thanks for your time and comments Armin and thanks to everyone who
> contributed to this thread - it's much appreciated.

 From your earlier post, I had the impression that the display went
weird when you ran startx ?  If that is true (maybe I've
misunderstood) then the Xorg log might be useful.

 But the main problem with nvidia cards seems to be that they are
very different from each other.  You might not be able to reasolve
this unless one of the nouveau devs has access to the same hardware.

ĸen