> In the first or second mail with this topic, you wrote that you
> installed, among other things, the kernel module from the nouveau site.
>
> There is no need to do this.
>
> The kernel side of the nouveau driver suite has been added to the
> mainline kernel tree about a year ago and a month or so ago has been
> moved out of staging. This means that there is no need to pull things
> from the nouveau site for the kernel. You can just take any newer
> kernel. Say, Linux-3.0 or any after that.
>
> You should also try using releases instead of git snapshots in
> mid-development, at least to verify it works.
>
> Also, don't forget the Xorg driver for the server:
> git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/nouveau/xf86-video-nouveau/
>
> I haven't seen you state that you built and installed it and there is
> no way X will start without it.

Thanks for your input. All the items you mention were covered at some point in
the discussion.
Armin confirmed that all the software components associated with the nouveau
driver were performing as expected - at least as far as he could tell from the
logs.
There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the installation.There seems to be
something wrong with the way the nouveau driver communicates with my particular
GPU. The card doesn't appear to recognize the signal(s) that are sent to it and
without a signal it will simply cycle through red, green blue and white.

The nouveau site says that drm.ko must beĀ  loaded before nouveau.ko so I was
going to check that this happens in my case.

regards

jb.